Thursday, November 02, 2006

Catching Up in our New Digs

We are finally settled enough to do a bit of cooking!

On Halloween night, I thought I might make something more involved as we would be hanging around the house waiting for all the neighbourhood ghosts and goblins. I chose Chipotle, Corn, and Black Bean Stew from VwaV.



I loved the colours and flavours, which were spicy but not too spicy, and apart from the chopping, it was relatively effortless. I am a big cilantro fan, and liked the heartiness of the dish without the heaviness. Another great Isa dish.

As Sarah noted, here is the wonderful dish that Pete whipped up for my birthday dinner:



The recipe was modified a lot from the original in order to feed the masses, with the addition of cooked butternut squash and potatoes, carrots, vegetable stock, raisins and turmeric. I really like the colour that the turmeric adds.

Of course, the No-Bake Black Bottom-Peanut Butter Silk Pie that Sarah made was out of this world, but you already knew that.

A few birthday scores: The Vegetarian 5-ingredient Gourmet from the lovely Sarah, Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison’s Kitchen from my well-informed mom, and Vegan Italiano from my darling Pete.

Pete wanted to give me VCTOTW, but couldn’t find it at the local bookstore. Luckily, it will appear in our mailbox in only a few days thanks to the magical internets!

(Why do they say “Product Image Not Available”? If the book is available, then why can’t someone take a photo of it??)