Smoothies, dips, bread, cookies, seitan...the possibilities are endless!
Today I have an ultra hempy post. First up is dinner - Chloe Coscarelli's Avocado Pesto Pasta. Being nutfree here, and free of many other foods that are allergens to my son, pesto is normally off-limits due to pine nuts. But swap in hemp seeds and you not only have a safe dinner, but also a much healthier one too! Blended with an immersion blender with avocados, garlic, olive oil, basil and my touch, a big handful of spinach, and they are magically transformed into creamy deliciousness. After mixing with hot pasta, I topped with sundried tomatoes.
Next up is a healthy and yummy energy bar. I love this recipe because the combos are endless because it's based in ratios - you can read about it here: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/
Here's my combo:
- 1-pound can of beans - black beans
- ½ cup binder - chia/water
- ¼ cup sweetener - agave
- ¼ cup soft sweet fruit - applesauce
- 1 teaspoon of extract (optional) - vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of dry spice (optional) - cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1.5 cups of oats
- 1 cup dry base ingredient - hemp pro 70/ some cocoa
- 1 cup stir-ins - choc chips/coconut/hemp seeds
I then topped the baked and cooked bars with 1 1/2 times the recipe of frosting from Dreena Burton's B-raw-nies. I could just make it and eat it out of the mini food processor. Thick and fudgey!