Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sarah's Top Ten

Here are my faves:

Vegan With a Vengeance

1. Vegan with a Vengeance

I find the recipes all suit my taste, aren't 'weird' and feature 'normal' ingredients, with a few exceptions that enable me to try new things. I really like the focus on avoiding commercial products since they cost alot of money. I really like that it doesn't recommend soy cheese for many recipes. I didn't like cheese before going vegan, so I don't use fake cheese now.

Vegan Planet

2. Vegan Planet

I really like how there are like 400 recipes, and often vegan spins on traditional, normal fare. Again, pretty normal stuff in here that is tasty, and I've gone through the entire pasta section (may favourite!). I only had two bombs out of the 30+ recipes I've tried, so that's pretty good.

The Vegetarian Family Cookbook

3. The Vegetarian Family Cookbook

Even though I don't have a little family to feed, I thought I'd like this book since featured non-weird items. Even though it's not totally vegan (many of the recipes are or often vegan options), it's good. I really like the muffin recipes and side dish recipes.

Lorna Sass'' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen

4. Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen

I use this cookbook with my pressure cooker, as it features instructions for using it or with regular saucepan method. It offers many recipes for cooking beans and grains.

Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

5. Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

There are a few vegetarian slow cooker cookbooks out there, but this one is my fave. I make the Ratatouille, Vegetable Soup and Maple Squash recipes most from this one. Again, not entirely vegan, but all of the recipes I like are.

Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen

Vegan Italiano

6. Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen/Vegan Italiano

Like Tracy, I like these books (I just got Vegan Italiano from Kyle for Xmas). Very focused on beans and grains compared to tofu/seitan recipes. When I cook from these, it feels a little more gourmet - like I've made something you'd find in a fancy restaurant.

7. Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Love it! I like how pretty these can look (although I need a lot more practice with the icing part), and how they are in single servings, and easy transportable (especially in my new cupcake carrier from Tracy!).

Vice Cream

8. Vice Cream

At first when I saw this cookbook, I was skeptical about making ice cream from ground cashews, but the recipes I have tried are great! Although the final product can be a little grainy, I find the added texture kind of nice. I've tried soy cream- and tofu-based recipes that do not compare to those in this book.

More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts

9. Great Good Desserts Naturally/More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts

Both of Fran Costigan's books are very good. I find the recipes very healthy despite being desserts.

Healthy Cooking for Kids: Building Blocks for Lifetime of Good Nutrition

10. Healthy Cooking for Kids

I got this cookbook a long time ago, since it appealed to my picky nature. It is completely vegan, and again, despite not having any kids around, I like the simplicity of the recipes, and everything I've tried has been really tasty - for instance, the stuffed shells, cookies, peanut noodles...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Lorna Sass's cookbook is great - thanks for letting me borrow it!