Thursday, January 18, 2007

Trumpets and Mousse

Last night I got one more dish from VwaV under my belt - Asparagus and Sun-dried Tomato Frittata.

I doubled the recipe as we had lots of asparagus and two pounds of tofu to use up, and a larger-than-called-for skillet. It was really impressive, and much more flavourful than I thought it would be. Princess had a hard time with the nutritional yeast taste, but at least ate all the asparagus.

Tonight I wanted to use some pasta that I got on sale in the health food section at Loblaws called Veggie Trumpets, as well as use up other leftovers. I sauteed red onion slices, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil, then added 1/2 cup red wine and a few handfuls of spinach, 1/2 can of diced tomatoes and a cube of frozen basil. Tossed with the cooked trumpets, it came out like this.

And for dessert, Chocolate Mousse from the September VegNewsletter.


Judy said...

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Ottawa blogger!

Mm, all the food looks great, in the post and the previous ones, especially the Boston Cream cake. Yum!

Urban Vegan said...

Trumpets--too cute. The presentation of your mousse looks lovely.

springsandwells said...

Yum! I love the trumpet shape - so fun to look at and fun to eat!

Vivacious Vegan (fellow vegan blogger) is always raving about that frittata... I'm a bit wary of a strong nutritional yeast flavor, so I'm not sure if I'd like it. Maybe I could just leave some of it out?


Sarah said...

Springs and HAVE to try the frittata. I honestly didn't find the yeast strong, but yeah, maybe leave some out the first time. I hate anything that tastes cheesy, but this doesn't! It's SO good!