Sunday, March 25, 2007

Colossal Food

I was craving something sweet, so I pulled out my VwaV, recalling that I had seen an interesting recipe I always wanted to try. Since I had all of the ingredients on-hand, I decided to make the Raspberry Chocolate Chip Blondie Bars. I used my homemade raspberry jam, as suggested, instead of going to the trouble of making the raspberry purée.




They turned out great - almost too great. You see, I live alone, and Kyle was working alot of nights this past week. In case you can't tell from the photo, this is a 9x13" pan worth of rich, calorie-laden blondie bars. It was dangerous. I had one, and soon after sampling, knew I had to offload the 30-some servings of these things before I turned into a blob. Fortunately, they kept well in the fridge, and I was able to have Kyle take more than half of the pan to his hungry co-workers on Friday. Phew! Next time, I'll definitely halve this recipe into an 8x8" pan, or even quarter it into a loaf pan.

One note that was weird - I felt guilty making those blondie bars. All week, I was snacking on grapefruits as my nightly snack. It was mildly surprising how much I was enjoying this treat! One night, I ate my grapefruit, then had a tiny piece of blondie bar. It was weird, because I was so mad at myself for losing the sweet, light aftertaste of grapefruit in my mouth, and instead tasting the oil-based, sugary confection I had created. I was mildly disgusted with myself, and hope this is a sign that my somewhat sweet tooth is diminishing.


Today, I modified a Caesar Salad recipe from the Vegan World Fusion Cuisine cookbook. I used soy mayonnaise instead of the silken tofu/water combo. I found it better tasting than another Caesar-style dressing I made before, so I'll be sure to do this again. What I won't do again is double the amount of garlic. I have no idea what I was thinking, but at least I won't have to worry about vampires tonight.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey! You could have sent a couple of blondie testers this way!

Judy said...

I am the same way with sweets, which is why I don't make them. The bars look fantastic, though.

Amey said...

I know just what you mean about soiling a clean light taste with the heaviness of a "sweetie." I have found this to be the case especially with refined sugars and chocolate in particular.

After years of being vegan, my tastes have definitely changed and I eat fewer sweeties than ever before. And now, when I do bake, I enjoy making more healthy treats.

Unknown said...

These both look delish. Have you tried baking with stevia? You wouldn't have to feel so guilty afterwards. :)