Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Recipe Redux

Back when I was a non-veggie, my mom used to make this dish called Summertime Skillet, which consisted of instant rice, salty cream of mushroom soup and chicken.

I recently craved this treat, but obviously in veggie format, with more healthy ingredients. So I created my own 'cream' of mushroom soup - sautéed button mushrooms, mixed in stock and spices and soymilk and flour - and steamed some brown basmati rice as part of my prep. When it came time to assemble, I cooked up some onion and celery, added some Yves Chick'n Tenders, and dumped in my soup and cooked rice. It was way better than the original!

I wish my mom had always made it this way instead.


Anonymous said...

That sounds good. Would you mind sharing your "cream" of mushroom soup recipe?


b36Kitchen said...

!!my mom use to make that also!! I've completly forgot about it. I use to go crazy for it. I'll have to remember to make a vegan version of this asap.