Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Recipe Redux

Back when I was a non-veggie, my mom used to make this dish called Summertime Skillet, which consisted of instant rice, salty cream of mushroom soup and chicken.

I recently craved this treat, but obviously in veggie format, with more healthy ingredients. So I created my own 'cream' of mushroom soup - sautéed button mushrooms, mixed in stock and spices and soymilk and flour - and steamed some brown basmati rice as part of my prep. When it came time to assemble, I cooked up some onion and celery, added some Yves Chick'n Tenders, and dumped in my soup and cooked rice. It was way better than the original!

I wish my mom had always made it this way instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds good. Would you mind sharing your "cream" of mushroom soup recipe?

~Annie

JENNA said...

!!my mom use to make that also!! I've completly forgot about it. I use to go crazy for it. I'll have to remember to make a vegan version of this asap.

JENNA