Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Veganomiphile

Veganomicon is such a treasure. I carry it with me around the house in case I get a few moments to read. What's that? No, not in the bathroom! I respect it too much for that. I have a huge pile of books to read, including back issues of Herbivore, a new VegNews, a library copy of Eat, Drink and Be Vegan, and a new copy of The Joy of Vegan Baking, and I'm snubbing them all for the 'Nomicon.

But first, I've been wanting to make Lemon Corn Waffles from VwaV, so I made them for dinner one night. I love the taste of lemon in breakfast type fare, because it makes it taste lighter. These were both hearty and light at the same time. Please excuse my poor waffle skills.



Another Vwav recipe on my list was Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Garlic. They were ok, but I'm still not totally sold on B.S. They have a radish-y type flavour that I can't quite get past.



Pictured alongside the sprouts is Baked BBQ Tofu from Vcon. I simmered the leftover Backyard Barbecue Sauce a few days later with chickpeas and some Smoked Tofu Cubes and it was divine.

Since I'd read so many good reviews, and because we have a couple of potato soup lovers in the house, I had to make Baked Potato and Greens Soup with Potato-Wedge Croutons. Smokin'. This is our new household potato soup recipe. I love Isa and Terry's intro to the recipe and told Princess about it. She called the crouton a "french-fry for giants - a giant who is ten feet longer than the table". She dropped half of hers on the floor, so Echo the dog got a sample. He gave it his approval.



When I was a child, I loved sloppy joes. I got all nostalgic and weepy-eyed when I bit into my Snobby Joe. I'm going to be making a lot of these. Even though I swore I would stick to my four-star recipe rating system, I gave these ****+.



I had a couple of cans of white beans, so Cheater Baked Beans appeared out of the oven. They were a breeze to make. I think this is going to be a recipe that grows on me. My taste buds think beans should taste spicy, so they are going to need some time to adjust.



I love how the muffin recipes in Vcon are really healthy. If I wanted a treat, I'd make a cookie or a cupcake. Muffins to me go with mid-morning tea and should be fruit- and fibre-filled. Here are the Applesauce Oat-Bran Muffins. They smelled so good while baking and tasted great.



I bought The Joy of Vegan Baking with a Chapters gift card that I received for my birthday. Unfortunately I have yet to make something from it that I was happy with. My chocolate chip cookies were done on the outside but not in the inside, my Hearty Spiced Cocoa Muffins disintegrated, and my Jam-filled Oat Bran Muffins - well, exploded.



The fruit desserts from this book sound really good, and I'm looking forward to trying some tarts and crisps and the Blueberry Orange Bundt Cake. I really like the tone of the writing and find it, well, compassionate. However, I would have liked to see less Earth Balance and Egg Replacer used and more whole wheat flours and healthy oils and leaveners.

Finally, I'm proud to showcase Princess's first kitchen creation - Sunshine Dip. She found the recipe herself in a kid's cookbook she inherited from Tay and came down the stairs announcing that she wanted to make it for lunch. How could I resist? I'm so proud that she is interested in cooking and food.



The dip is a blend of Veganaisse, ketchup, and chopped sweet pickle. Food styling by Princess. She'll be whipping up Vcon creations in no time.

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, too much goodness in one post!! I haven't made anything from VwaV in AGES, so it's fun to see some of the recipes that you made, from that book :0)

I'm obsessed with brussels sprouts - the best way to eat them, for optimal flavor? steamed, plain. delish!

Carolann said...

I used to love sloppy joe's as well. It always makes me sad when I go to family events and my grandma makes them because I can't eat them! I'm going to have to bring a vegan joe to the next family get together :)

Your dishes look great! Specially the muffins :)

Judy said...

Those waffles look so good, I can't wait to try them. I've never even seen that recipe in the book, but I probably skip past it to get to all the other fabulous ones.

And I can't wait to get Vcon, I so want to make those applesauce muffins.

J. Pannell said...

My cooking skills are hit or miss, but I've had good success pairing B.S. with marjoram (and of course ground mustard). I believe I started with a base of minced shallots and onions. I'm not a vegan so I used plain yogurt to make the sauce but I'm sure you could find a suitable vegan substitute. I steamed the B.S. with some cubed potatoes and tossed. Keep experimenting. B.S.s are worth it!

Unknown said...

it's reassuring to see I'm not the only one having issues with the joy of vegan baking. I've tried two things [the choco chip cookies from the cover and the pumpkin cheesecake]. the former came out exactly like yours, the latter wasn't a total failure except it could have baked for a longer amount of time, and the flavor was lacking. wish I would have kept the amazon packaging and returned it too!
btw, love your blog. been a [silent] fan for quite some time.