Monday, August 27, 2007

Peachy Keen

OK, I've noticed that most of my posts lately have featured numerous items with a focus on a particular ingredient - strawberries, then tomatoes, and now peaches. I am forcing myself not to go overboard with one particular ingredient in particular, as I fear that's one way of making me hate something since I've over-made it.


But I digress - I had to buy a basket of peaches since every blogger has been making the Fat Free Vegan's Peach Upside-Down Cake. I know that the original, VeganYumYum's and Vegan Eats & Treats' versions look way better than mine, but mine doesn't look so bad considering I had to make it with a 10" springform pan rather than a cast-iron skillet (I don't have one...I'll have to add that to my Xmas list). My pan didn't give the cake a golden hue, and made a drippy mess (thank god I put it on a foil-lined cookie sheet!).

I absolutely cannot believe how there was no added fat in this recipe, and it tastes so darn good. I really hope that Susan V publishes a cookbook, as that too would be added to my Xmas list! Even though she's added no fat to her recipe, I added a little with a serving of Purely Decadent soy ice cream.


To ensure no other insect infestations, I wanted to use up my peaches before the fruit flies came along. I pulled out my waffle iron and hoped to avoid another waffle disaster by making a tried-and-true recipe from the Peaceful Palate by Jennifer Raymond - Oatmeal Waffles. Basically, you put oats, water, a banana, and some vanilla extract in a blender and voilĂ  - waffle batter. I put it in my waffle maker carefully, and avoided filling it with too much batter like I always do (I end up cleaning up stuck-on waffle goo every time from the sides), but this time I put in too little and they didn't make a full square pattern. I think they look like I tried to make Belgian Waffles...yeah, that's what I was trying to do...

6 comments:

Emmie said...

I love peaches so much. The waffle looks absolutely divine btw, just like a belgian one :D

Judy said...

In season, local peaches are so delicious. As is cake and waffles :)

Mihl said...

Your peach cake looks perfect!

urban vegan said...

Peachy keen, (vegan) jelly bean.

Katie said...

Ooh your pie looks soooo good!

Caty said...

The cake looks delicious! And if you hadn't said I would've thought the waffles were meant to look like that, they look really good.