Saturday, November 17, 2007

International Fare

I've really been looking for easy comfort foods as the weather has gotten much colder. I tried eating foods that were from a theme - food from warmer regions to make me feel the cold less. It sort of worked.

The first stop was Thailand, as I made a recipe I've made a few times before - Peanut and Sesame Noodles from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I love it! I like how crisp the cucumber is, and how the cilantro works with the peanut butter. Instead of tofu, I used Yves Chick'n Tenders (which I seem to add to everything these days). I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Thai food, but this is tasty. It just makes alot, so I invited friends over to help dig in so that I wouldn't be eating this all week.


Next, I made my way to the US by making Creamy Tofu and Broccoli Skillet from the Vegetarian Family Cookbook. Instead of tofu, I added in Yves Chick'n Tenders (again) just to get some added protein. I loved how easy and creamy this was. I served it over brown rice and had a tasty sweet potato on the side.


With my leftover rice, I made another recipe from the same book - and headed down south with the Southwestern Rice and Black Bean Salad. I was quite impressed with this meal. It wasn't very spicy, but with my recent heartburn woes, I was happy with it's subtle blandness. It would have been way better with the suggested fresh cilantro, but when I reached for it in the fridge, it was way past it's prime. Next time I'll make sure to have some fresh cilantro on hand, as it would have enhanced the flavours.


To hit another continent, I pulled out a recipe that I hadn't made for seven years - Morrocan Tofu Tagine with Jeweled Couscous from VT. Instead of using honey, I used agave nectar, and I subbed - you guessed it! - Yves Chick'n Tenders for the tofu. So good!

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Thailand, U.S., and Morocco - what a fun journey, to experience different tastes, cuisines, and flavors! :0)